I personally think there are many ways this country COULD get back on track if it really wanted to. The problem from MOST citizens is apathy. Look at how many people vote. The tendency is to vote with passion and absent any ‘real’ knowledge. In an article on CNN Opinion written by LZ Granderson (CNN Contributor) called “Stupid voters enable broken government” there are several quotes that point the fact that many Americans do not even know the basics about the American Republic. Many do not care about the basics.
There is footage of Marion Barry in a room of crack smoke saying, “Bitch set me up.” And yet that image, that video did not disqualify him from being seen as a viable political option in the mind of voters. In fact, not only was he re-elected mayor after serving time in a federal prison, today he sits on the City Council, all because he managed to convince enough black people that the video of him with the crack pipe in his mouth was white people’s fault.
How can anyone ever even think of voting for a crack head? It is because many people do not care OR do not pay attention. Lets look at what Lucas McCain (Chuck Connors) said in 1960 on an episode of the Rifleman “Seven”:
…a time a town or even a country is really lost is when the people who live in it get careless and stop paying attention to how it’s being run…
I know this was a TV show and made up but those lines should ring true to every ear in this country.
So how do we get people to pay attention? Most people will not pay attention OR react until something dramatic happens and since the media is a ratings game and not about news any longer… most people may not even know what is going on.
OK enough on that…. I feel like I need to tell people how this all can be solved in 10 steps. I am not going to lie the steps are not easy but they will get us to where we need to go.
- Eliminate lobbyists and the ability for powerful lobby’s and special interest groups to influence the way our politicians vote. Our representatives MUST be voting for the people, not the powerful special interest groups.
- Institute a term limitation for the Senate and the House. The term limits should be similar to the Presidential ones. Limit the retirement to a benefit more consistent with working for a corporation for that term, not a full pay check plus benefits. Institute requirements for all government positions that require experience before you can apply (e.g. POTUS). There is no excuse that a US President has no experience as a military General NOR as a company CEO.
- Strengthen the check and balance rules for power ALL over the government. Over the years we have allowed different bodies of government to get too much power. One example that comes to mind is the Presidential Executive Order another is the Internal Revenue Service.
- Abolish the IRS in lieu of a flat rate tax. Allow the states to get a portion of the flat rate tax based on population size and stop using the money the federal government gives to states as a way to extort them to do what the federal government wants. This percent that the states get would be a SET percentage. The federal government needs to keep their “dirty paws” out of the state governments. The federal government should ONLY involve itself in state politics when the state is infringing on the constitutional role of the federal government.
- Solve the immigration problem. I have already written several blogs on the immigration issue and you should read them. They are my passion… to me it is the FIRST problem to solve here. The articles I wrote can be searched by going here: http://blog.the-joys.com/category/immigration. My favorite article on the immigration problem is here: http://blog.the-joys.com/2014/01/11/immigration-woes/
- Stop sending MOST money to other countries when we have many MANY problems here to solve first. I do understand a certain amount of foreign aid is necessary, but why are we sending foreign aid to countries that either have horrible human rights records OR they are fronts for terror? This must be reviewed and the ones that are inconsistent with American values MUST BE STOPPED.
- Stop allowing the federal government from infringing on the constitutional rights of Americans. The gun laws are really the worse but spying on Americans via the NSA is a close second. The gun problem cannot be solved by taking guns away… what needs to happen is the social fabric of the country needs to be addressed. Most of the violence in this country is due to three things Gangs, Drugs and Domestic Abuse. Most of these problems (including gangs) are symptoms of the greater break down of the American family. The social issues if addressed aggressively would help slow down this violence.
- Create incentives for and encourage from all levels of government to empower self respect and personal accountability. These are core values that have been lost in this country (watered down over many decades) and they need to be reinvigorated. The fact that an able bodied person CHOOSES to be on welfare and food stamps is an example of how our country has become a welfare state. What ever happened to the satisfaction of getting a job and holding it? This should also include respect for authority (police, parents, teachers, etc). Where did that respect go?
- Create incentives for and encourage businesses to stop outsourcing to other countries. This simply is not right. I get that they are all trying to complete in a global market and that American workers are more expensive… but also American products are BETTER by far then most in most retail markets. I get we are not the leader in all of these but we hold a good standing on quality and workmanship (or we did at one time). The fall of the American factories is an example of allowing this outsourcing to occur. I get it that when one company does it the next has to in order to stay competitive… well we have to break that cycle somehow.
- Finally, clean up the Social Security system. There is NO place for a government that has robbed the Social Security fund for so long there is actually no fund anymore. The money put into Social Security SHOULD be in a fund that is untouchable by any politicians OR any government organization EXCEPT to deposit. Any interest or gains SHOULD also not be touched. This is ridiculous that OUR government robbed the baby boomers of any chance at getting back what they put in for 30-40 years. It is simply outrageous.
There you go… my 10 point plan to clean up America. Do your part where you can.